Can I lodge a Partner Visa on my own?

Can I lodge a Partner Visa application without the help of a Registered Migration

As outlined in the accompanying video presented by Emma, our Principal Migration Agent, the answer really depends on a couple of factors, including:

  1. The complexity level of your unique relationship situation; and
  2. If you have received Visa advice from a Registered Migration Agent who is fully aware of your relationship details and is of the opinion you have a relatively straightforward case.

When is it ‘okay’ to lodge a Partner Visa application on our own?

So we would say a tentative ‘YES’, you can consider lodging your Partner Visa application on your own if your case has been deemed a straightforward one by a Registered Migration Agent from whom you have directly sought advice at the outset of your application. Additionally, you would also need to fully understand the lodgement process. However, please be warned that you lodge your Partner Visa Application by yourself at your own risk. We would strongly advise the kind of intermediate support a Registered Migration Agency can provide, such as:

  1. Access to document templates which are acceptable to the Department of Home Affairs;
  2. Guidance on how to put the application together; and
  3. A Full Partner Visa Application review prior to document lodgement.

At the very least, we feel it is really important to seek advice from a Registered Migration Agent right at the start.
A Visa Planning Session with a Registered Migration Agent at the beginning of your Partner Visa journey will help determine if there are likely to be any complexities with your case. The  session will also equip you with an understanding of the lodgement process.

When is it ‘not-okay’ to lodge a Partner Visa application on our own?

We would say an emphatic ‘NO’ to lodging your own Partner Visa Application if any complex issues with your case have been identified. Really, it’s not worth chancing a Visa refusal and losing the $7,000 Application Fee in the process if there is a chance your situation is a complex one that requires some insight and professional assistance. In cases like these, we would strongly recommend you secure the services of a Registered Migration Agent. At the end of the day, it’s about you and your loved one. It’s your future in Australia that is at stake. Most importantly, that $7,000 is gone if the Visa application is refused.

So in conclusion, if yours is a straightforward case as advised by a Registered Migration Agent, then yes, do consider lodging on your own. It may save you money. Look at some level of support as well, if you can afford it. If yours is a complex case, though, we strongly recommend you get assistance and advice from a Registered Migration Agent.

Either way, we wish you good luck and everything of the best. We love getting your feedback so feel free to comment below. We read all your remarks and will reply if we can answer any questions.

IMPORTANT: Please note, this does not constitute Immigration advice. Always seek advice from a Registered Migration Agent before applying for an Australian Visa. Migration Law is constantly changing. This information is accurate only at the time of publication.

About the Author Emma Drynan MARN0960361

Emma is the founder and principal migration agent at Freedom Migration. She is extremely passionate about uniting partners and families with their loved ones overseas. It might be because she's a product of a partner visa family.

follow me on: