Forms 47SP and 40SP – When to fill them in?

When do I complete Form 47SP?

Form 47SP is an important part of your Australian Partner Visa application. When you open up your Immigration Account portal and begin to fill out the online application forms for ‘Stage 1 - Partner / Prospective Marriage Visa’, the form you start with is actually Form 47SP. You do not need to download an extra form. 

When do I complete Form 40SP?

The current situation is that once you have successfully lodged your Partner Visa application, you are required to complete another form to apply to sponsor a partner to migrate to Australia. This form can also be found within the Immigration portal and is the equivalent of Form 40SP.
The new changes to sponsorship will likely change this process, so stay tuned.

What if I need help to complete the forms?

As you fill out the forms, you might find you have lots of questions and need some assistance; if this happens to you, we would advise you to seek professional advice from a Registered Migration Agent – please feel free to give us a call, we would love to help. It is never too early or too late to get good advice!
While completing your partner visa application on your own is an option, it is important to do so with at least some level of support. At Freedom Migration we have a range of options that help those who are willing to lodge their own application but would benefit from a clear process and a final review from a professional. Check out our options here.
IMPORTANT: Please note, this does not constitute Immigration advice. Always seek advice from a Registered Migration Agent before applying for an Australian Visa. Migration Law is constantly changing. This information is accurate only at the time of publication.
  • Omid says:

    So, you say there is no need to fill the form and upload them.

    Because it has to be done online (portal).

    Am I right?

  • Ben Cooke says:

    Is it the same story for Form 80 and Form 956a? They’re included in our IMMI 27 page application and therefore don’t need to be done separately?

  • Shaun says:


    We have submitted our application, payed, and uploaded evidence. I cannot find this thing you have referred to :

    “The current situation is that once you have successfully lodged your Partner Visa application, you are required to complete another form to apply to sponsor a partner to migrate to Australia. This form can also be found within the Immigration portal and is the equivalent of Form 40SP.”

    I can’t find this form, or a version of the 40sp form that is newer than 2013.

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    • Avelyn Chen says:

      Hi Shaun, thanks for your question, you should see the sponsor section in the portal. How have you paid for the application? Credit card or Via BPay? Did you get a receipt?

  • Ali Razazada says:

    who does the form 309 and 100 applies to if form 40 and 47Sp’s exist?

    • Avelyn Chen says:

      Sorry Ali, I didn’t understand your question, are you asking who completes the forms 40 and form 47sp?

  • Evan says:

    As a sponsor, I’ve filled in the ‘Sponsorship for a Partner to Migrate to Australia (300,309/100,820/801)’. This was where I entered the TRN etc… This has been submitted. Yet under the ‘Attach documents’ section it now asks for a ‘Form 40SP’ and I’m not sure if this is needed as it’s much the same content as that already entered in the application itself. Can you shed light on whether this needs to be filled in and uploaded?

    • Avelyn Chen says:

      Hi Evan, what subclass have you applied for?

      • Mani says:

        Hi Avelyn
        I have the same question as Evan.
        I applied for subclass 309.
        After completing the online application, the list of documents to be attached still shows this form and therefore am unsure whether to fill again on a PDF version & attach there.

  • Nathan says:

    Should you have more than one IMMI account? I.e. one account for the applicant and one for the sponsor?

    • Emma Drynan says:

      Hi Nathan, nope, you just need one Immi account… one is enough 🙂

      • Raman says:

        Hi where i can i find 40sp form in pdf. It is required in my 309 visa file. I am unable to find any 40sp form on homeaffairs website.

  • Anand says:

    Hi, I applied for a spouse visa for my wife. Now she is pregnant, is that effect in the visa progress or it will take a long time to go for it?

  • billy says:

    Can you please confirm that the 47sp visa application for migration is for the permanent partner visa

    • Emma Drynan says:

      Hi Billy, unfortunately there is more that one form involved. Are you applying for a Subclass 801 or Subclass 100?

      • BILLY says:


        • Emma Drynan says:

          Hello, we are glad to hear that you are granted your 309. Please give us a call so we can explain the next stages.

      • Billy says:

        Dear Emma,iI have not got a reply on my perm partner visa class uf and sub 309.was granted these near on 4 years ago .back then I filled out forms 40 and 47 sp to achieve this we were granted these 19 april 2016Why is it taking so long and why do I have to fill in more forms?????Your help in this matter will be greatly appreciated

  • Raman says:

    Unable to find form 40sp in pdf form on immi website. I need it as it shows in my immi portal that i need to attach form 40sp.

  • Marly says:

    Is the 40sp form still a part of the 309 visa application?
    Is there a website that shows what the online application looks like? I understand most people find it difficult to decide how to categorize all the documents because the drop downs in the online application are often different to the way they’ve prepared and combined all their evidence. What are the categories called in the online application and how should you sub divide everything (ie nature of household, nature of commitment, financial aspect, etc) Should you write something for each factor individually and add documents or is there a better way of doing it?

  • Anjani says:

    Hi Ema,
    I have loadged application for my patner.
    And after 18 months immigration requested for form 40sp and 47sp ,which we have submitted. Does that mean we will hear a good news soon.

  • Anjani says:

    I have loadged application for patner visa and after 18 months immigration requested for forms 40sp and 47sp. Does that mean he will get visa soon.

  • Anjani says:

    please delete me from this contact

  • Diana says:

    Hi there,
    I am just about to lodge an application for my partner to come to Australia (I’m an Australian citizen, he lives and is currently overseas).

    We’ve been together for over 2 years, have a travel history, applied (and unfortunately got rejected based on them not believe he would return) for a visitors visa last year and got married in Dec 2019.

    We have our identification documents, relationship history, supporting assets, police checks and witness statements.

    Can you please clarify if the below forms (and who fills them) is correct and if they have to be physically filled in, rather then electronically?

    Forms i fill:
    – Form 40SP
    – Statutory Declaration

    Forms he fills:
    – Form 47SP
    – Form 80
    – Statutory Declaration

    Thanks in advance

    • Emma Drynan says:

      Hey Diana, congratulation on lodging your partner visa! It sounds like you are perfect for our Partner Visa Academy!

      • Olga says:

        Hi Emma,

        in regards to Diana’s post – isn’t Form 47SP the same as the online application you have to fill up and submit for your Partner Visa 820/801?
        Also, Statuory Declaration – is there a different form for the applicant and partner to fill up or should the Form 888 be used in this instance also?

        Look forward to hearing back from you!


  • Hailey says:

    Hello, my husband has just lodged 820 visa application online visa through immigration website. Is form 40sp compulsory for me to fill in, as a sponsor? And when should I do so if I have to? Thank you!

    • Emma Drynan says:

      Hey Hailey, congratulations on lodging your husband’s partner visa. I think it would be a good idea if you got some advise on this because there are a lot more information required than just the 40sp, please call our office at 07 3063 1200 we would be happy to help.

  • yulha J says:

    Hi Avelyn, Thank you for your post. it is really help to figure out for Partner VISA. I have a question, I know that i have to provide all Police check that which countries i leaved over 1year. however, you know, because of COVID 19 situation, i really hard to get Police check from Cambodia that i leaved for 2years in 2013 to 2015. is there any exceptional case i can skip?

    • Emma Drynan says:

      Hey Yulha, it’s really rewarding for us to hear that this post has helped you. Thank you for your feedback!

      That’s a great question. Please give our office a call at 07 3063 1200 so we can provide you with accurate advice regarding your concern. You can also get in touch with us here

  • James says:

    I have one question for you. On the form 40SP, page 11/18 ” Has this sponsor been sponsored/nominated to Australia as a spouse, de facto partner…..?” Is that means if sponsor himself or herself was sponsored by someone else to migrate to Australia? Need to put all details of that previous sponsorship for this question?

    • Emma Drynan MARN0960361 says:

      Hi James, we can’t really answer a question like this in isolation without the full facts of your case. Please give our office a call at 07 3063 1200

  • BADRI says:


  • Bek says:

    Hello, my husband and I are working on his partner visa. If the form 40SP and the “Sponsorship for a Partner to Migrate to Australia (300, 309/100, 820/801)” found in the immi portal are equivalent, does that mean we only need to fill out one of them? Also on the one in the immi portal it asks for all my travel in the last 10 years which seems impossible to know as I have travelled quite a bit. Any advice on this? Thank you!!

    • Emma Drynan MARN0960361 says:

      Hi Bek, seems like you have been putting together your Partner Visa Application on your own. You have asked excellent questions and both that can be answered at The Partner Visa Academy.

      It’s an online course program designed to help couples like yourselves complete their Partner Visa applications. Visit and discover more ways to increase your chances of partner visa success!

  • Jacqui says:

    Thank you for clearing this issue for me. I have asked immigration and other advisors, no one was able to give me a straight answer to which for is form 47SP.
    We have submitted the application for this VISA and are currently still upload documents that we think are helpful.
    We would appreciate your guidance if possible.
    Please let me know if that occur.

    • Pearl Frankis MARN2015921 says:

      Hi Jacqui, we are so glad to hear that you found our blog helpful. However, kindly note that this blog has been published years ago and information on this blog is only accurate at the time of publication.

      May we ask which visa subclass did you apply for?

  • stan hanchard says:

    Can you please give me the cost of getting a Partner Visa (Fiance Visa). Your fess + the Goverment Fee. Thank you….Regards S.J.Hanchard. PS my Partner is Thai.

    • Pearl Frankis MARN2015921 says:

      Hi Stan, the current Partner Visa Application fee is at $8 085 AUD.

      Our professional fee can only be disclosed once we understand the simplicity/complexity of your circumstance and how we can assist you to achieve your Partner Visa goal.

      Please give us a call at 07 3063 1200 or book a Visa Consultation with us so we can plan the best course of action for you.

  • Hushyar says:

    Myself and my foreign wife’s two children, 13 and 18 years old, are Australian citizens. My wife does not live in Australia and does not have an Australian residence visa. Is there a way for my foreign spouse to obtain permanent residency in Australia other than a partner visa?

    • Emma Drynan MARN0960361 says:

      Hi Hushar,
      The best way we could help you would be to make sure that the partner visa is definitely not an option you want to go for before you rule it out. This is our area of expertise and we’re happy to assess how we can help you and your wife along the journey. Feel free to contact us at 07 3063 1200.

  • About the Author Avelyn Chen MARN1800051

    I was born in Changsha (China), lived in Wuhan (China), and moved to Singapore when I was 8. So I speak Mandarin and Singlish. I might also speak a bit of Cat. I studied law and now specialise in migration law.