What To Do After Your Partner Visa is Granted?

Your partner visa has just been granted, congratulations! Now what? I listed down the things you should prepare as you start your new life with your new partner in Australia.

There are a lot of things you want to do after having your partner visa granted. Mostly, it’s just getting on the plane and reuniting with your partner. But apart from that, here are other things you and your partner should prepare before you depart for your new life in Australia.

Prepare Important Documents

Bringing your identity documents is a must. It is best to have these documents prepared ahead of your travel time. Make sure you organise and identify which ones you are going to bring.

Some examples are birth and marriage certificates. Make sure that you also have the translations for these documents ready. These are going to be very important when you start living in Australia.

The next one is a driver’s license. Prepare the documents that you will need in transferring or acquiring a new license. If you are a new driver, then plan out where you’ll take your driving lessons and driving tests. 

Another thing that future drivers should remember is car insurance. Prepare both requirements for the car company and the transport office so you can hit the road as an insured driver. These are all necessary if you want to drive as soon as possible.

Check for Job Opportunities

Looking for a job is also something you should prepare ahead of time. Are you looking to apply locally? What websites should you use? What documents will you need? 

It is best that you start doing your research now. Get familiar with what documents you will need and prepare them right away. By doing this, you’ll save yourself a lot of headaches. No more going back and forth to get the documents. No more hassle of contacting people to get the papers you need. 

To give you a headstart, here are some job posting websites you can visit right now Seek, Jobsearch, and Glassdoor

Opening a Local Bank Account

You will also want to open an Australian bank account. We suggest that you have your partner reach out to some of the local banks to ask for the required documentation. You might be able to pass the requirements in advance.

You should also research the process of moving money from overseas to your new Australian account.

Looking for a Home/Apartment

If you and your partner are looking for a fresh start, then hunting for a home or an apartment is a must! There is in most cases an application process required to rent a property. Here are some websites you can visit so you can start your house/apartment hunting: Domain, Real Estate, Flatmate, Rent and Aussie Relocation.

Get a Medicare Card

Medicare is the public health insurance in Australia with wonderful privileges and benefits for Australian citizens and eligible permanent residents. If you have a 309 or 820 visa, chances are you already have it.  If not, then be prepared to work on the requirements needed. You might also want to look at a Private Health Insurance, but that’s a decision for you and your partner. 

So that is our list of things you can prepare after having your partner visa granted. Congratulations and I hope Australia is everything that you planned for it to be. 

Need more help? Freedom Migration is happy to lend a helping hand. For more information visit our Partner Visa FAQ and Partner Visa Pathways. Need some advice? Contact us. 

IMPORTANT: Please note, this does not constitute Immigration advice. Always seek advice from a Registered Migration Agent before applying for an Australian Visa. Migration Law is constantly changing. This information is accurate only at the time of publication.

About the Author Emma Drynan MARN0960361

Emma is the founder and principal migration agent at Freedom Migration. She is extremely passionate about uniting partners and families with their loved ones overseas. It might be because she's a product of a partner visa family.

follow me on: