What is the ‘Character Test’?

Who does the Character test Apply to?

All adults who apply for an Australian Visa are required to pass the character test which involves a police check. This may also apply to other applicants in your family who are over the age of sixteen.

Is it just a police check or do I need to give other information?

The type of information or character requirements that you will need to give depends on where you are applying from as each country has their own set of rules when it comes to the details required for their own particular police clearance. For example, you may need to give details of your residential history over the last ten years as well as a whole lot of personal information, so our advice is, be prepared and GET ORGANISED!

Do I need a state police check or a federal police check?

To prove you are of ‘good character’ when you apply from inside Australia, the Australian Federal Police check is the ONLY one acceptable to the Department of Home Affairs. For all other countries, applying for their own specific national police check should be the way to go.

I’m overseas, where do I get my police check?

As you are overseas, you need to check with the relevant country’s law enforcement authority to find out where you can get your police clearance approved. In fact, some countries even allow for these checks to be applied for and completed online, saving you the hassle of having to travel to the particular country. The Department of Home Affairs website provides information on the police check requirements of various countries.

What if something shows up on my check?

If something shows up on your character test assessment that alerts the authorities, they will take a closer look at your case and this may affect the outcome of your application. If you have ANY worries at all about your past history or current issues you may have which might negatively affect your application, we strongly encourage you to contact a Registered Migration Agent for expert advice and peace of mind.

Feel free to contact us here at Freedom Migration. Our friendly and experienced agents are only too happy to help and would love to give you professional advice that is specific to your own situation. We’d love to hear from you so please send us your questions in the comments section below and you can be sure we’ll reply!

IMPORTANT: Please note, this does not constitute Immigration advice. Always seek advice from a Registered Migration Agent before applying for an Australian Visa. Migration Law is constantly changing. This information is accurate only at the time of publication.

  • carmpapo@gmail.com says:

    Hi my name is carmelo my wife is philippina we all ready subscribe onshore spouse visa in late of may this year do she need the character police check thank you

    • Avelyn Chen says:

      Hi Carmelo, Yes, as part of the process, both you and your partner need police checks.

  • About the Author Avelyn Chen MARN1800051

    I was born in Changsha (China), lived in Wuhan (China), and moved to Singapore when I was 8. So I speak Mandarin and Singlish. I might also speak a bit of Cat. I studied law and now specialise in migration law.