When should I apply for the Permanent Partner Visa?

When should I apply for the Permanent Partner Visa? (Subclass 801 or 100)

With many things in life, timing is everything. The Partner Visa process is no different and we will help guide you through it…

If you already hold a Subclass 309 Partner Visa or a Subclass 820 Partner Visa, technically, you’ve already applied for the Permanent Partner Visa. However, you might not be considered for the Permanent Partner Visa yet because you haven’t lodged the application more than two years ago.

Here, we are talking about the anniversary date of your visa application and not the anniversary of your relationship! 😊😊 You need to be aware that if it’s coming up to two years since you lodged your first Partner Visa, the 820 or the 309, then it is probably time to start preparing evidence for submission to Immigration to consider for the Permanent Partner stage.


Will Immigration contact me to let me know when I can apply for the second stage?

Immigration does state that, in most cases of the Partner Visa stages, they’ll contact you two months prior to let you know what they require. Unfortunately, they don’t always do that and this being so, it’s really important to reach out to Immigration about two months before this anniversary date rolls over, and follow up on your second stage application.

If you are still confused by this, don’t worry! A lot of people are, too 😊. Our advice is to contact a Registered Migration Agent or check out the Immigration website to find out what’s needed.

Please feel free to give us a call on 07 3063 1200 and we can book you in for a Partner Visa Session with one of our Registered Migration Agents to answer any questions you might have.

IMPORTANT: Please note, this does not constitute Immigration advice. Always seek advice from a Registered Migration Agent before applying for an Australian Visa. Migration Law is constantly changing. This information is accurate only at the time of publication.

  • Akanesi says:

    Hi it has already been 2 years and 2months now but still have completed visa 801 is it too late or no

  • Deb says:

    My children and I are Australian citizens (kids are dual British) We will be arriving in Australia together with my British husband. Should we all enter the country as visitors even though our intention is to move permanently and apply for permanent partner visa for my husband?

    • Avelyn Chen says:

      Hi Deb, the no. 1 rule with immigration is to be honest with your intentions. I would however recommend you get some advice before making the trip to make sure you have everything in order and you know how to properly explain your intentions.

  • Ladene says:

    Good Afternoon, immigration emailed us a few weeks ago stating that we can start applying for stage 2 the permanent partner VISA. We are starting to gather evidence however it will take us a few weeks. We lodged our partner visa 2 years and 2 weeks ago. Is there a certain time frame that we have to submit stage 2? For example if we only submit stage 2 in 3 moths from now is that okay or not?

    • Emma Drynan MARN0960361 says:

      Hi Ladene, this is a very good question. Our best advice is to not delay the lodgement of your visa application for many good reasons. The biggest good reason is that because lodging as soon as you are eligible means that your Permanent Residency will be processed much sooner. That means that you can achieve the end goal of your Partner Visa Journey sooner rather than later.

      If you are needing assistance in putting together your Permanent Partner Visa application, check out The Partner Visa Academy

  • About the Author Emma Drynan MARN0960361

    Emma is the founder and principal migration agent at Freedom Migration. She is extremely passionate about uniting partners and families with their loved ones overseas. It might be because she's a product of a partner visa family.

    follow me on: