Where can I get my Visa Medical / Health Exam done?

Where can I do my ‘medical’ or ‘health exam’ in Australia?

If you’re in Australia and based in a metropolitan city, your medical or health exam can be done at BUPA Visa Medical. If you live outside the city in a regional area, however, it’s a good idea to contact the BUPA call centre to find out where your nearest medical test centre is located.

Where do I do my medical if I am outside Australia?

If you’re outside Australia, head to website of the Department of Home Affairs or click HERE for further information. Just keep in mind though, you will still have to have a health exam completed by a panel physician who has departmental approval to perform the check.

What should I do if I’m afraid I might have a health issue?

If this is your reality, we feel for you and understand how this can cause you to worry. So, if this is the case, you may need to apply for what we call a ‘Health Waiver’. To find out more about this path and how to go about it, your best bet is to get advice from a Registered Migration Agent who is experienced in handling these issues well before you go applying for your Partner Visa.

We hope we’ve given you some insight into visa medicals / health exams or the Health Criteria. There is a lot of information out there and some of it can be confusing. And of course, in our humble view, nothing beats the personal touch of a professional, caring Registered Migration Agent who can advise YOU on YOUR unique situation. If you’re on the migration path, it’s never too early or too late to seek good advice! If you have any questions, please contact us and comment below; we’d love to hear from you and are here to help.

Visa Medicals During Coronavirus/COVID-19

Have you been asked to complete a visa medical for a pending visa application?  Here’s a little insight into some of the changes and implications we’re seeing to the completion of visa medicals as a result of Covid-19:

  • Extended timeline for visa medical services processing due to the Coronavirus/COVID-19.
  • Visa medical services inside and outside Australia are expected to be disrupted due to the Coronavirus/COVID-19.
  • Inside Australia, BUPA Medical Services and other visa medical services clinics are still operational. Services are reduced to comply with the requirements from the Department of Health.
  • The Department will cancel some bookings and will issue refunds. The booking system for new appointments will not be operational until all cancellations are rescheduled to available slots.

In short, if you have been asked to complete a visa medical and you are advised by the Medical Officer of the Commonwealth Panel Doctor/Clinic or BUPA that you cannot because of issues relating to Covid-19 then it is your responsibility to let the Department know.

Overall it seems that the Department is very much aware of this and are in most cases allowing for extensions to the timeframe in which to complete the visa medical if you are affected.

For more information regarding the pandemic, click our Coronavirus/COVID-19 update page for the up-to-date news. 

IMPORTANT: Please note, this does not constitute Immigration advice. Always seek advice from a Registered Migration Agent before applying for an Australian Visa. Migration Law is constantly changing. This information is accurate only at the time of publication.

About the Author Emma Drynan MARN0960361

Emma is the founder and principal migration agent at Freedom Migration. She is extremely passionate about uniting partners and families with their loved ones overseas. It might be because she's a product of a partner visa family.

follow me on: