What do I need to apply for a Partner Visa inside Australia?

What is required to be able to lodge an Onshore Partner Visa (Subclass 820)?

While we know that the different Visa types can be difficult to understand, let’s get straight into explaining the basis for lodging an Onshore Partner Visa.

Without causing confusion around the general requirements needed for the 820 Partner Visa, if you have all the evidence needed and meet the other necessary requirements, you could consider lodging an Onshore Partner Visa if you’re INSIDE Australia and hold a Substantive Visa.

What is a ‘Substantive’ Visa?

By this, we mean you hold a valid visa such as a Visitor Visa, a Working Holiday Visa, a Student Visa or maybe one of the other Working or Skilled Visa options. In saying this, you need to be aware there will be complications if your Visa has conditions attached.

What Visa conditions would prevent an Onshore Partner Visa (Subclass 820) application?

To be able to progress your Visa status, it is really important that a limiting condition does NOT apply to the current Visa you hold. For example, if an ‘8503 Condition’ has been authorised on your Visitor Visa, you cannot apply for any more Visas while you’re INSIDE of Australia.

The same applies when you don’t hold a VALID Visa; you would be prevented from lodging the Onshore Partner Visa as well. You might also be classified as ‘unlawful’ if you are on certain Bridging Visas. Likewise, there may be other conditions which could prevent you from going ahead, such as if you have been barred from lodging future Visa applications.

Generally speaking, if you hold a Visitor Visa / Student Visa / Working Holiday Visa with no limiting conditions, you may consider looking at lodging an Onshore Partner Visa (Subclass 820). As always, we recommend you seek advice from a Registered Migration Agent. So, take a step forward and book in for our Visa Advice Planning Session. For a $165.00 AUD, our Registered Migration Agents will answer all your migration questions and get you on the right track.

IMPORTANT: Please note, this does not constitute Immigration advice. Always seek advice from a Registered Migration Agent before applying for an Australian Visa. Migration Law is constantly changing. This information is accurate only at the time of publication.

About the Author Emma Drynan MARN0960361

Emma is the founder and principal migration agent at Freedom Migration. She is extremely passionate about uniting partners and families with their loved ones overseas. It might be because she's a product of a partner visa family.

follow me on: