How much money do I need to sponsor a Visitor Visa applicant?

How much money do I need to sponsor a Visitor Visa applicant?
The short answer is that you, as the sponsor, are NOT required to provide financial support. When you’re looking at sponsoring a family member under the Subclass 600 Visitor Visa sponsored family stream, it is the visa applicant who must show they have access to funds to support themselves throughout their stay in Australia.

However, if your family member does not have sufficient funds, you may volunteer to provide financial support, and the onus is on your family member, the visa applicant, to show they have access to these funds. It’s not a legislated requirement imposed on you, the visa sponsor, by the Immigration authorities.

Does this apply in all cases?
In some circumstances, such as when you are sponsoring a relative who is outside your immediate family unit, you may be asked by the department to provide a security bond. This request is usually made when the department is already reviewing your family member’s Visitor Visa application.

What is the reason for this?
The purpose of the security bond is to maximize the chances that your sponsored family member complies with their applicable visa conditions, such as to not work or overstay.

How much money would I have to guarantee for the bond?
The value requested by the department is usually between the ranges of $5,000 to $15,000. You may also express an intention to provide the bond as part of your sponsorship when your family member is about to lodge their visitor visa application. Following this, the department decides whether or not to accept this offer at their discretion.

If you have any questions about this issue or it relates to your own circumstance, please feel free to add your questions in the comments section below. We would love to hear from you and connect and will reply to your questions. Our friendly, experienced, professional Registered Migration Agents are standing by – remember, it’s never too early or too late to get good advice!

IMPORTANT: Please note, this does not constitute Immigration advice. Always seek advice from a Registered Migration Agent before applying for an Australian Visa. Migration Law is constantly changing. This information is accurate only at the time of publication.

  • Editha says:

    Greetings! If my australian fiance will sponsor me for a visitor’s visa,and I do not have enough financial funds,would it be ok if the sponsor will provide for me?

    • Avelyn Chen says:

      Hi Editha, very good question, are you planning on applying for a partner visa while your are here?

  • Nina says:

    Hi! Just wanna asked is possible for subclass 600 to only have $1500 or $2000 in my bank? Im going to visit my boyfriend in aus and his family will be provided me a room to stay. Will I get accepted with that amount or It needed to be $5000 in exact for minimum?


    • Emma Drynan says:

      Hi Nina, how exciting!!! When are you planning to come visit your boyfriend and what country are you coming from?

  • David Anderson says:

    How do.i obtain a spouse visa and where do i get this aplication

    • Emma Drynan says:

      Big question David, The first step we recommend in getting a successful partner visa is to get some professional advice form a Registered Migration Agent… It’s not just a simple application form. Feel free to give us a call on 07 3063 1200 and we will be happy to help.

  • cecilia mendoza says:

    hi there… i’m Cecilia… i applied subclass 600 and received a refusal because of lack of fund….how long will it take for me to apply Visitors Visa again?

  • Rabea says:

    Hi Avelyn,

    I have recently applied for a partner visa for my husband. The processing time seems to take more then one year. We have applied for his partner visa end of May 2019.
    He has already done his medical and biometric collection data and character check.

    Is it possible to apply for a visitor visa for him and ask the government to use the same results. We have already spent all our savings for the wedding and the visa since it was over $7000 so i dont have enough money to give for bond. I am able to show payrolls that i can support him financially while he comes for a 3 month visit. Would that be enough to apply for this visa for him?

    Do you believe the government will accept it, considering this is the second visa i will be applying for him, to visit the country for a few months?

    Thank you

    • Emma Drynan says:

      Hi Rebea, what country is you husband currently in?

      • John says:

        Hi Emma. Many people can be in Rabea’s situation. Is the grant or refusal of sponsored visit visa for a partner according to which country the partner is from or the country he/she resides in? Thanks.

        • Emma Drynan says:

          Hi John, visitor visas are dependent on a number of different criteria. When it comes to lodging a visitors visa, with the intention of lodging a partner visa this is something you really need to get advice on as it can be very complicated. Please give our office a call 07 3063 1200.

  • Jacob Du says:

    Hi , I have 1 years son in australian , he is the child born from my partner, my son is Australian citizen, he is 10 years old, can he he sponsor his mum, or I sponsor my partner to visit Australia to look after my son?

    • Emma Drynan says:

      Hi Jacob,
      Are you an Australian citizen or permanent resident?
      The reason I ask is perhaps you could sponsor your partner.

  • Nikaela says:

    Hi, my cousin is an Australian citizen and she will sponsor me and my partner (we are from Cyprus, EU) to visit her there. How much would the security bond cost?

    • Emma Drynan says:

      Hi Nikaela, Thanks for your question, we normally only work on Partner Visa and Visitor visa’s for partners, if you like I can refer you to another agent who may be able to help you with this question.

  • Sandhya says:

    HI, I’m looking to sponsor my mum to visit me in australia. I’m a Permanent resident here. I want to know if I have to put up a bond if I guarantee to look after her and her expenses while she’s with me? and if yes, how much bond money would that be?

    • Emma Drynan says:

      Hey Sandhya, we work on all types of family visas it is. Best to give our office a call so we can discuss your specific case.

  • Bhae says:

    Hi, I am currently studying the visa for Family Sponsorship. My uncle (first cousin of my mother) is in QLD, Australia. Is visa 489 applicable to my case? their postcode is 4300. I already did the EA assessment and language test. Please advise for my options and chances. Thanks in advance…

    • Emma Drynan says:

      Hey Bhae, we would need more information so we can help you with your application please give our office a call at 07 3063 1200.

  • Vignesh Thanasekaran says:

    Hi Team, I am Indian, looking for IT Operations jobs in Canada with sponsorship. Would like to hear more information from you.

    • Emma Drynan MARN0960361 says:

      Hi Vignesh, our company specialises in Partner Visa Applications in Australia. The best course of action is to look at Canadian Visa agencies to see better options that can definitely be of help to you.

  • Michelle Bhamrah says:

    Hi there, I am an Australian citizen and in 2017, I married my partner who is Punjabi. At the time, we wanted to go to India to celebrate with family knowing that my husband’s visa to Australia had long expired. We were informed that my husband could be banned from entering Australia for 3 years, which he was but that ban ended in October 2020.
    Can I now sponser my husband on a Visitor Visa and will it cost me anything to do so?

    • Emma Drynan MARN0960361 says:

      Hi Michelle, this is a complex situation. I recommend you give us a call at 07 3063 1200 as we’d love to help.

  • Enya says:

    Hi there i just want to ask if can be still apply for another tourist visa even multiple refusal? And about security cashbond iss it refundable?
    Thanks so much

  • Zsofi says:

    In the current covid climate is there a higher chance for this sponsored visa to be granted than the simple e visitor visa? Thanks

  • About the Author Avelyn Chen MARN1800051

    I was born in Changsha (China), lived in Wuhan (China), and moved to Singapore when I was 8. So I speak Mandarin and Singlish. I might also speak a bit of Cat. I studied law and now specialise in migration law.