If I am married to an Australian do I still need a visa to visit Australia

We are often asked this question and, “YES, you do need a visa even though your partner is Australian and you have a marriage certificate.” Many people assume that as their husband or wife is an Australian citizen, they do not have to apply for a visa to visit the country – but this is not the case.

What kind of visa do I need to apply for?

This depends on your country of origin as this determines the type of visa you will need. For example, it could be a visitor visa, eVisitor visa or an ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) and it is important to remember that each of these visa types has a different processing time.

nce you get the fantastic news that you have the right to enter Australia, you can think about what you would like to do during your visit. While you are in Australia, we would advise you to have a really good look around at the place where you may end up staying – get to know the area, find out a bit about the country, the culture and the local community so you can make an informed decision about whether or not you would like to live in Australia permanently with your partner.

The different visas and requirements can be really confusing and you might find you have a lot of questions that need to be answered; if you think you need help, our advice is to contact an experienced Registered Migration Agent to assist you. You can always contact us at Freedom Migration, we are here to help. Please feel free to ask any questions in the comments section below, we would love to connect with you. It is never too early or too late to get good advice.

IMPORTANT: Please note, this does not constitute immigration advice. Always seek advice from a Registered Migration Agent before applying for an Australian Visa. Migration Law is constantly changing. This information is accurate only at the time of publication.

  • Alice Salgado says:

    Im currently trying to get my husband here to visit for a month we have a limited time frame due to both of our jobs and financial restraints he has accommodation everything is organized for when he may come we are still confused as what visa to go for i cant pay the bond that they may ask for but i have written him a letter of invitation also a letter of guarantee he is in pakistan our time off is in jun jul this year ive been to his country several times i want him to see this beautiful country should we go a tourist visa or a sponsored family visa

    • Avelyn Chen says:

      Hi Alice, can you give our office a call? We would need more information on the case before we can advise you of this. Our office number is 07 3063 1200. We deal with loads of these and I know we can point you in the right direction.

  • Marion says:

    I’m married with the Australian citizen, I lovely to come in Australia with the WHV for 1year. Do I need to stipulate that I’m married or not ? Can that help me to have the visa quicker ?

    • Emma Drynan MARN0960361 says:

      Hi Marion, we specialise in Partner Visa applications but we may be able to refer you to a few Migration Agencies that can assist you. Please give our office a call at 07 3063 1200.

  • About the Author Avelyn Chen MARN1800051

    I was born in Changsha (China), lived in Wuhan (China), and moved to Singapore when I was 8. So I speak Mandarin and Singlish. I might also speak a bit of Cat. I studied law and now specialise in migration law.