Will Immigration ACTUALLY check my Social Media?

Will Department of Home Affairs actually check my social media accounts?

Good Question! We get asked this one a lot and YES, be warned that there really is a good chance the Department will do just that. For this reason, it’s super-important that the personal details on your social media platforms are consistent with what you have put on your Partner Visa application form.

Is it important that my partner and I are ‘Facebook official’?

No, it’s not a departmental requirement for your Partner Visa application that the two of you are ‘Facebook official’. But please remember that if you have Facebook accounts, and your relationship status is ‘single’ or ‘in an open relationship’ for example, your case officer might ask some questions about this.

What if we are not listed as ‘Facebook official’?

Simple! Don’t worry about it, you don’t need to be. If your Facebook relationship status is blank, relax, that is alright, too. Current departmental regulations don’t require you to declare your relationship status on any kind of social media.

What if my partner or I do not have social media accounts or much evidence?

OK, this is a question we get from lots of couples, and it is NOT a prerequisite for the Partner Visa process to have social media accounts to evidence the nature of your relationship.

On the evidence side, although having public photos of the two of you together might help, it is really important you share your relationship with your close friends and family members. There are many ways apart from on social media to evidence the social aspects of your relationship. You can find out more by checking out a previous post we did on evidencing the four aspects of your relationship.

If you are worried or have any questions about this, you can contact us for advice from our friendly and experienced Registered Migration Agents. We love to get your feedback so please feel free to comment below and we will respond to all your questions.

IMPORTANT: Please note, this does not constitute Immigration advice. Always seek advice from a Registered Migration Agent before applying for an Australian Visa. Migration Law is constantly changing. This information is accurate only at the time of publication.

  • Stephen and Jovy Thompson Pilar Cebu says:

    Although we did not use the agency I read all the information and watched the videos and took notice after one failed visa attempt and now after our marriage and first 12 month visa I can say the info was most helpful

  • Ana says:

    I would like to know if the United States see social networks when leaving the United States to Portugal

    • Emma Drynan MARN0960361 says:

      Hi Ana, we specialise in Australian Partner Visa applications. Best to reach out to US Migration experts.

  • About the Author Avelyn Chen MARN1800051

    I was born in Changsha (China), lived in Wuhan (China), and moved to Singapore when I was 8. So I speak Mandarin and Singlish. I might also speak a bit of Cat. I studied law and now specialise in migration law.