Can I go to Australia after lodging my Offshore Partner Visa?

One very common misconception is that if you have lodged an offshore partner visa, you are required to remain offshore until the visa is granted. This is FALSE.

After you have lodged an offshore partner visa, you are able to lodge a temporary visa such as a visitor visa to allow you to enter Australia to visit temporarily.

Usually, you are required to go back offshore for the grant of the offshore visa, however, currently due to Covid, offshore visas can still be granted while you are onshore. This is a Covid concession and is subject to change.

The Visitor visa is not to be confused with a bridging visa which is associated with an onshore partner visa. You will remain bound to your visitor visa conditions, for example, you cannot work on a visitor visa. You will also only be permitted to remain in Australia only for the duration of the visitor visa.

Book a Visa Consultation Now


IMPORTANT: Please note, this does not constitute Immigration advice. Always seek advice from a Registered Migration Agent before applying for an Australian Visa. Migration Law is constantly changing. This information is accurate only at the time of publication.

  • Marinus says:

    Tourist visa 1 entry bridging visa active while waiting for partner visa 820 than over to 801 visa?

  • About the Author Pearl Frankis MARN2015921

    Pearl is a lawyer and Freedom Migration's Business Development Manager. She's a Registered Migration Agent who studied law and has vast experience in the legal industry. Her expertise in Partner Visa's bloomed from her fondness of a good love story and desire to help people and make a difference in people's lives.